Sunday, January 6, 2013

365 days to an organized life - Day 6

Today is Sunday, a day for rest and worship. God took a break from His work in Creation to show us how much we need a break. We need to unwind and enjoy our family. We need a day that is a bit more unstructured.

My husband and I try to give turns to each other to get a nap. Sometimes four kids don't always comply with the nap idea so having a couple of hours to let someone else get up to quieten them is a treat for us. I think I will use my nap time today to work on some gifts. I have been making Christmas gifts for others this week and I have a good jump on my holiday preparation for 2013. But the kids are always asking, "What ya making, Mom?" and "Is that for me?" So to make gifts for my immediate family, I need some time with the door locked. But it's a lot of fun and a rest from the daily chores.

The Jewish way of observing the Sabbath involved reading the Scripture half the day and praying the other half. So Sunday for us, would be a good time to incorporate more Scripture reading and prayer. More than just what we hear at Mass. Prayers for a successful week. That we grow in righteousness. That we show Christ's love to everyone we meet and to those closest to us. I love to crochet so crocheting is a great task to incorporate prayer. If you crochet for others, it's a great way to bless an item with prayers for that person. Especially true with crocheting hats and blankets for preemies and cancer patients.

Now, do you throw your list to the curb for today? Well yes, for at least part of the day. While I'm cooking a meal or making a cup of tea, I will take a few minutes unloading and loading the dishwasher. As I move from room to room, I take a few items that belong elsewhere like trash and dishes.

The Jewish day began at sundown. We still observe that principle in the Mass times for holidays like Christmas Midnight Mass and Easter Vigil. So what works best for me to ensure that I rest as we are commanded to do and that I also don't go crazy worrying over what I will face Monday morning is to declare 6pm the end to the day of rest. I can take a couple of hours to finish cleaning the kitchen, pick up and put away and wipe down surfaces. Then I am able to go to bed at a decent hour without worrying over how long it will take to get caught up.

Enjoy the Sabbath in celebration of the Resurrection of our Lord on a Sunday morning long ago!


No comments:

Post a Comment