Wednesday, January 2, 2013

365 days to an organized life - Day 2

Next item to add to the schedule is laundry. Different households have different needs as far as laundry goes. For our family of six, just our clothes make a load each day. That doesn't count towel, rags, sheets, etc. So some days, I can get by with one load but it is usually two loads a day.

We don't have a working dryer so we hang the clothes on hangers from the shower rods and on drying racks. Some sheets and things get hung over the bedroom doors. It works well but I think you have to have a good washing machine for it to work.We bought a washing machine a year or so ago and it spins out the water so splendidly. In fact, some items like my crocheted dish cloths can almost go straight to the drawer. I also use an extra rinse to get all the detergent out of the clothes. This prevents them from being so stiff.

So my schedule has all four aspects of laundry

1) Start a load in the washer - I do this as soon as I can in the morning. I keep a laundry sorter in the utility room and I gather the hampers from both bathrooms as I am going to the kitchen in the morning. I quickly sort the new dirty clothes and start the load before breakfast.

2) Fold clothes - After breakfast, I gather all the clothes that have been drying since yesterday.Since many of the clothes are already on hangers, I can quickly put those away. The folding usually takes no more than 10-15 minutes.

3) Hang clothes up to dry - Don't you hate it when you wash a load of clothes and then get busy with this and that until you have to rewash the load of clothes you forgot to dry? Yeah, me too. So I make sure I have this on my list of to do's so that I am not wasting water and energy washing something twice.

4) Put laundry away - With just a load or two to deal with a day, it's not a big chore to put it all away. I have one basket for the older boys' clothes for them to put away and I put away the rest.

So let's say goodbye to Mt Washmore and Mt Foldmore. We've got laundry under control!

No comments:

Post a Comment