Saturday, December 20, 2014

Vikings

My husband was away on business this week so I couldn't watch 24. We watch that together. So I decided to go through season 2 of Vikings. I much prefer watching it on Amazon Prime. That way, I can fast forward through the gory battles and pagan rituals.

It really isn't my kind of show. I like suspense but not gore or horror. But I have a connection to the characters. According to a book about my father's family, English historians Foster and Tilley say "that the Foljambes are a family of royal descent from King Ragnar Lodbrok of Denmark."

Now it is widely accepted that our family came from Normandy (which means Northmen) to England with William the Conqueror and then on to America by way of Barbados in the 1600's. But Ragnar raises some skepticism because his life became such Viking legend. While most agree that he existed, how much of his story is true and how much is embellishment is uncertain. Could his character be a combination of more than one man? But regardless of whether or not we can prove our ancestry back to this one man. We can definitely trace our genes to the Nordic region. And there is a feeling of a connection to this ancient people.

Seeing Ragnar as a real man is both fascinating and terrifying. Knowing that my ancestors were pagan is one thing. Seeing their rituals is quite another. But the best part of the Vikings show is Athelstan. His character is a monk that is captured by Ragnar and then becomes his friend. Seeing Athelstan struggle with his faith among strange gods and come to love these people is something someone like me can connect with.

The ending of season 2 was perfect. I love that Ragnar asks Athelstan to teach him a prayer. So they pray Our Father. But they keep it believable when Ragnar refuses to say "forever and ever." He is curious but not accepting the One True God.

No comments:

Post a Comment