Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Mending challenge - Rearranging buttons

Some mending tasks require a little bit of thought into how to make it work with what you have. This coat for my daughter is so very soft and nice. The lining is her favorite color. But the buttons and snaps were a mess. Only the top button and snap was intact. The second was missing the button and the last two were missing the snaps. I found the third snap so I decided to move the top button to the second and the top snap to the bottom and reattach the third snap. I would end up with three buttons and snaps instead of four.

I could have looked for new buttons to match or bought new buttons to replace these but where's the fun in that? I prefer to try to figure out how I can make do with what I have.

So I got started. They really weren't too hard to reattach. The pattern made it easy to hide the black thread that I was using. And then I heard some clanking while I was working.






Sometimes, you just get lucky! In the pocket of the coat was the missing snap and the missing button. Plus an extra button! I squealed and James thought I had gone crazy. So I added the extra button to my mending kit. And now I have four buttons and four snaps. The second snap was loose so I reinforced it as well. My model was wiggly but she was tickled with it. She doesn't have tiny arms....that's just her little brother in the background.

I also put on the new patches on the Lowe's Build and Grow aprons yesterday. I added a crochet belt to the top of my son's Joseph costume to replace the gold ribbon that fell off. Looking forward to the Christmas eve Children's liturgy. They're all gonna be so cute!






No comments:

Post a Comment