Monday, December 8, 2014

More new standards

1) Stay on top of the dishes
2) Keep dishcloth draped over the middle of the sink when not in use
3) Keep towel draped over the oven handle
4) Toys kept off the kitchen floor
5) All non-essentials kept off the countertops
6) Bar area kept neat with nothing on or underneath the stools
7) Preschool activity center kept orderly
8) Keep all science things in science center


9) Make up beds before breakfast - I have developed this habit. It is rare that I don't make up my bed. However, I'm not very consistent in making sure the children make their beds. Mornings are so busy and half the day can pass before I think about it. I need to set up a visual schedule, maybe something like this one on pinterest.

I think the older boys need a smaller specific area to be in charge of and take pride in as I have the kitchen. It's too easy to blame their messy room on the other.

10) Keep books in the bookshelves and assign a librarian - While helping the boys with their room, I had to compliment David on the bookshelf. He had taken great care to organize it. So I gave him this job. I have the shelves in his room divided into science, history and fiction. The rest of the science books go in the science center. I need to assign the other shelves  in the living areas.

11) Put up coats and shoes immediately and assign a coat check clerk  - This job fell to James. He wasn't all that excited about it at first. He asked questions about real jobs with coats and ended up making a gate to block off the foyer while he worked. I think he was imitating what they do at his father's retail store when the portion off the section they are stocking.

I am making a change to one habit to make putting up shoes easier. I set up the diaper changing station in my bedroom instead of the living room. This way, I can come in, take my shoes off in my room, change and take the little ones to the potty, grab shoes and drop them off in the nursery closet on the way back to the living areas.

I tried over-the-door shoe organizers but they kept getting pulled down or unused because the little ones couldn't reach. I reorganized the nursery closet and assigned two office boxes for girl shoes and boy shoes. Now, putting away shoes is easy enough for a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment