Sunday, December 21, 2014

Random thoughts

The highlight of my week was in Barnes and Nobles this Saturday. Katie Rose had attached to a stuffed kitty. I told her that we couldn't get that today. She needed to put it back. She retorted, "No!" I was planning of tossing it and racing for the door in anticipation of an almost certain meltdown. I pushed the stroller forward and called for her brother from the Duplo table. She said, "I can't reach!" I pushed the double stroller a few more inches. She placed the kitty back where she found it without a whimper. I was so proud of her. I praised her for being such a big girl. Santa may just have to add that to her stocking.

I just bought the older boys new shoes this spring in suitable size 4 and 5. Today I had to buy size 6 and 7 shoes. That's two sizes in barely more than half a year. Gracious! Talk about some growth spurts!

Forget about the toys. The best plaything for a toddler is a Tide pods container. John Micah and Joseph have had the best time tossing and kicking it around the kitchen. It is light. Doesn't hurt anyone. And best of all (from the toddler's point of view), makes lots of noise.


We visited Santa this week. Katie Rose jumped up and down with excitement and talked to Santa which is really unlike her. She is normally so shy. We kept asking her what she wanted for Christmas but after trying to explain that it was about a toy or want, she kept saying angel. She will be an angel in the Christmas pageant this year.

David is developing such a sense of humor. We saw a neat chair at Dirt Cheap. It was round but missing the cushion with bungie-cord-like-back to it. But it was pink. James sat down in it to show how it worked. David said, "you look good in that!" I was tickled with how quickly and dryly he can pick on his brother. 

Gonna have to be extra nice to James next week cause we did pick on him this week. He was reading aloud in monotone and I was trying to explain that we needed inflection and character voices. He started pouting and fussed over 2 had's. I explained that it was one "had" as in the past and another "had" as in possession. As in "James had had a good sense of humor." James claimed it wasn't funny but he laughed right along with us. 

David loved The Charlie Brown Christmas special. He giggled through the whole show. I wonder if kids really hear adults in the mumbled voice like on Peanuts. That would really explain a lot. 

I can't believe Christmas is Thursday. Just doesn't seem possible. Still have shopping to wrap up. Just don't seem have enough (safe) hiding places for five kids. The older boys question whether Santa is real. I use my grandmother's response that if you don't believe, you might not get anything. My aunt said they continued to pretend long after they knew the truth. I add that Santa is a legend based on a very real man, St Nicholas of Myra. Anyone who gives a gift in secret participates in that legend. And Santa has lots of helpers!

Getting ready! The King is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment