Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Teff Sweet Potato Casserole

I love sweet potatoes! They are delicious. Often, way too much sugar is added to them unnecessarily. I ordered sweet potatoes at Cracker Barrel once and they totally ruined it with all the brown sugar. They're delicious enough on their own. A pat of butter or a tablespoon of yogurt is all you need.

So on holidays, I really prefer sweet potato pie with a little sweetness but still a bit plain. But most people like sweet potato casserole with brown sugar or marshmallow topping. Both my husband and I can live without the marshmallows but I added it on half of the sweet potato casserole for the children.

A key difference this year was experimenting with teff flour. The brown sugar topping uses flour. With teff, it preserves the lightness of the sugar. After trying it with teff, I can only say that wheat flour weighs it down. Teff also adds another level of nutrition.

Teff Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into thirds and boil until tender)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup softened butter

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup teff flour
1/3 cup butter (cut into tiny cubes)
1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup miniature marshmallows (optional)

Combine first 6 ingredients until smooth. Spoon into casserole dish. Mix topping and sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Add marshmallows and brown slightly if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment