Tuesday, December 23, 2014

It's a wonderful life

One of our holiday traditions is to watch Christmas movies. Our favorite is The First Noel narrated by Andy Griffith. I love it's rhythmic narration with bits of Christmas Carols. It just wouldn't be Christmas for us without it. We don't even have a DVD player working in the house so we put it in the van to watch on the portable DVD player on trips and while waiting on the boys in taekwondo class. 

Mike and I also watched It's a Wonderful Life. Not so much an every year tradition but I do enjoy when I catch it on. I can relate to George Bailey and I imagine most people can on some level. We all make mistakes. We all have weaknesses. And it's so much easier to focus on them than our strengths and successes. Have we tipped the scale so that there is more good than bad? Does God see people as good and bad?

Now of course, God will judge our lives at the end of time so I don't want to diminish that truth in the least. But I wondered if God simply sees us as the creatures made in His image. What if we saw only creatures made in the image of God? I think we have a tendency to divide people into the prodigal sons and faithful sons. When in truth, we're all a little of both. 

I think our mistakes can become a little glorified in light of the story of the Prodigal son. Those who attempt to live in righteousness are often belittled as the faithful son. When I went for my first confession, the priest asked me to reread this passage and see myself as the prodigal son receiving the welcoming of The Father. In truth, we all run from God in every occasion that we fall into sin. And we all risk falling into a rut of doing the right things until we're no longer doing them out of love but out of a desire to be blessed with the Father's riches. But we're His children. Child of the King. Princes and princesses. The inheritance is already ours. 

My husband has chastised me on occasion when I have started the negative self talk. I can't seem to accept a compliment without first pointing out a flaw. It's a bad habit. I'm getting better about not speaking even if I still think something negative. In honor of George Bailey's character, I resolve to believe that the world would be a much different place without me (and you) in it. As for my faults, if it's a sin then confess it and accept forgiveness. If it's a mistake, give myself a little grace because no one is perfect. If it's something that happens over and over again, seek counsel and brainstorm for ideas to keep it from happening habitually. 

But never doubt your worth! We are made in the image of God. If for no other reason than that, we should treat ourselves and others with respect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment