Thursday, December 4, 2014

Sourdough biscuits

Somewhere on the internet a while back, I saw the idea of using unfed starter in biscuits. My starters are growing and I decided to use this to keep them from getting too large for their jars. I used a half cup from each jar. These biscuits are so very scrumptious. I would never make more than a batch for our family because they are so hard to stop eating.

My menu plan is all mixed up. I wrote it out on my white board in the kitchen but my white board is listed Monday to Sunday and I was writing out my menu as Sunday to Saturday. And then I got my days mixed up and somehow had Pizza written on Thursday but intended for Wednesday and yet somehow I made it on Tuesday. We may not want to take too long of a stroll in my head right now. So anyhow, I made my egg dish (scrambled eggs, bacon and biscuits) for Tuesday on Wednesday instead. Maybe I'm back on track.

I have not bought self-rising flour in nearly a decade. The recipe for self-rising flour is simply 1 cup of flour with 1/2 T baking powder and 1/2 t salt  I use wheat flour for my sourdough mostly since it breaks down the gluten and gluten-free flours for most quick breads and desserts. The exception is biscuits. Biscuits are an easy way to expand a meal when the budget is tight. 

Sourdough biscuits

2 cups bread flour (biscuits are often best with a lighter flour but this is what I had)
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
3 T shortening
slightly less than 1 cup of unfed starter (1 cup makes it sticky so I had to add a T or so of flour)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet. Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a couple of knives until it is pea sized. Add starter and mix completely but as little as possible (this is important, light biscuits are the result of very light handling) Drop Tablespoons of biscuits into cast iron skillet and press lightly with the backs of your fingers so that they are all about the same height and should cook evenly. Cook for 10-12 minutes. I like mine with a little brown on top but some prefer white biscuits so just keep an eye on them til they reach your desired preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment