Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pomegranate brownies with cream cheese frosting

I found a recipe for pomegranate brownies on pinterest. I wasn' t so sure about that particular recipe but pomegranates in brownies sounded like something worth trying. I had one pomegranate that needed to be used soon.

I wanted a fudgy brownie so I used this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction as inspiration.

Pomegranate Brownies

1 stick cultured butter
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup + 2 T flour or gluten free baking flour mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pomegranate seeds

Melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave. Stir after 20-30 second increments until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line pan with aluminum foil.

Mix sugars into chocolate/butter mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Fold in the flour and salt. 

I seeded the pomegranate and folded 1 cup of the seeds into the brownie batter. Spoon into prepared pan

Bake for about 30 minutes depending on the size of your pan. My pan was about 7x11..

Now here's where it becomes inspired. I had a half a pack of cream cheese left over from making a gluten free carrot cake. I was piddling in the kitchen and adding my big bag of confectioners sugar to an ice cream bucket for better storage. On the back was a cream cheese frosting recipe. Hey, why not?!

Cream cheese frosting

4 oz cream cheese
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 T milk

Mix cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla. Add sugar and milk and mix thoroughly.

Here is the finished product.


It tasted scrumptious warm from the oven. It was practically divine the next day. It is like a fudgy red velvet cake. Sam's pomegranates are huge so I had pomegranates leftover to add to cereal the next morning. I packed up a couple of brownies for my husband's business trip this week.

Here is an easy way of seeding a pomegranate. No more dealing with soaking the pomegranate in water to loosen the seeds. 





No comments:

Post a Comment