Thursday, December 11, 2014

Reclaiming my mornings

At our family's Thanksgiving get-together after listening all about my kids for about 30 minutes, my cousin asked me, "So what are you doing for you?" It was very thoughtful to see past just a mom. But still, part of me wanted to say, "Isn't all that enough?!" No, I don't have a paying job or classes to take. I do have an awesome support system in the moms group at church. And I have my blog to document my creativity.

It's so easy to lose sight of taking care of ourselves. But everything will take just as much time as you give it. Yes, we could spend every waking moment tending to children, husband, homemaking, homeschooling, etc. Or we can make the time to care for ourselves a regular, non-negotiable part of our day. A tangible way of putting on our oxygen masks first.

I choose the later. From 6-6:30 am is my time. I will make the bed first thing but all other household chores can wait. I have 30 minutes to tend to things that can get postponed then hastily and halfway done. I can shower. Actually take the time to shave my legs. Braid my hair. Use lotion. Put a little makeup on. The needs may change from day to day but 30 minutes is ample time to start the day refreshed.

Most of the time, the children aren't stirring until 7 but if they do happen to wake up during my time then they can play in their room. I've woken to hear Katie Rose shushing the little boys until she sees me get out of bed. The baby can play in the play pen in my room. Nothing is normally urgently pressing at that time of day. Sippy cups and breakfast can wait a few minutes.

It's easy to go days without showering especially when we have infants. We say, "There's just not enough time!" It's kinda thrilling to go from that to taking care of showering, shaving and moisturizing and have 6 minutes to spare. A few minutes to ponder about what else I might need. Maybe makeup if I'm going out. Maybe a braid or scarf for my hair if I'm just working at home. Yes, it does require waking a bit earlier. Stay tuned for a post on how I remedy that!

No comments:

Post a Comment