Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving 2014!

We had a great day of relaxing at home with some awesome food. I tried a pomegranate balsamic glaze for the turkey from a recipe in the All You magazine. It did add a little bit of sweetness and flavor. I think it would have been better if I had just poured in on like a gravy afterwards.

The star was a brussel sprout salad with hot bacon dressing from the Southern Living Thanksgiving issue. We've never eaten brussel sprouts any other way but steamed with salt and pepper. I may have added some crumbled bacon at some point. This was rich and decadent. I could have lived without dessert after that.

I love Southern Living. It's very visually appealing. I go through most magazines and find a handful of pages I want to keep. I go through Southern Living and can only find a handful of pages that I don't want to keep. I like everything from the Southern Living magazine. I'm thinking of starting holiday boxes and keep my Thanksgiving magazine with my Thanksgiving crafts and decorations. Same with Christmas. Same with Easter. So on and so forth.

I had heard a couple ideas about Thanksgiving traditions that appealed to me. One was a Thanksgiving tree with leaves with all our blessings written on them. The other was writing our blessings on strips of paper and bring them out next year as memories. I decided to combine the two. I had a box that was about two feet high. I broke it down and cut off the flaps. On the inside, I wrote Thanksgiving vertically and drew a totem-pole looking tree as the box ended up about 6 ft long .

We sat around in a circle and wrote our blessings on construction paper leaves with the year and glued them on the tree. I folded the box back up and put it in a large ziploc storage bag. This way, if any leaves fall off then they aren't lost. I'll put this in (or beside or under) my Thanksgiving box . We can bring it out each Thanksgiving and add blessings for that year.

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment