Thursday, November 13, 2014

Turmeric milk

I had heard great things about turmeric milk and its use as a cold remedy. I had used turmeric in skin treatments and in Cuban Black Beans. But I always seem too overwhelmed during a cold to actually think about using it as a treatment.

James sniffled a bit yesterday and woke up with more sniffles and a sore throat. Everybody has been doing well so I'm not letting this come in without a fight. I put some essential oils in the diffuser. I pondered the ginger detox bath but still feels too harsh for kids. Then I thought of the turmeric milk.

I found this recipe from Jouney Kitchen. I didn't have any cardamon but I did have everything else. We used our honey for sweetening and it is pretty tasty. Pepper apparantly helps with the absorption of the curcumin in the turmeric.

I was surprised at just what all turmeric does. I knew it was anti-inflammatory but it's also anticarcinogenic and antioxidant. Ginger works in much the same way so adding it gives a double punch.

I made three cups for the older boys and myself. I haven't been able to get the little ones to drink much ginger tea so I doubted that I would be able to get them to drink the turmeric milk yet. Within a few sips, I cleared some congestion from the back of my throat that I didn't even know was there. Hoping this does the trick and keeps us well.


No comments:

Post a Comment