Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Stop rule

I've been reading this book Home Improvement little by little and I wanted to share a success that I've had with it.



One of the issues was refereeing little squabbles which often resulted from one wanting to stop doing something the other was doing or pestering to start doing something that the other didn't want to do. So I explained to the older boys that we respect each other and because of that, when one says, "Stop" then the other must stop. No matter what! I still had to remind them to use Stop instead of tattling but by this past Sunday, I realized that they totally grasped the concept. A simple reminder of "He said stop" was all it took to end the confrontation. No listening to both sides and being judge and jury. Not only that, but Katie Rose was understanding it. She even used it when she thought the boys' play was getting too rough.

This is so valuable for several reasons.

1) It teaches respect for others. Your sibling isn't there to do whatever you want. You have to respect their wishes.

2) It teaches self-control. I watched one of my most rambunctious kids immediately somber up and stop. That is awesome. I wasn't sure that was even possible.

3) It's empowering. They don't have to put up with anything from anyone. Use their voice and it is respected.

I am definitely going to have to finish this book. It's one that works in the trenches!

No comments:

Post a Comment