Monday, November 10, 2014

White Bean and Kale Soup

I can't remember who but someone in my Facebook feed mentioned fixing white bean and kale soup as a fall tradition. I thought, "I have white beans in the pantry and kale in a pot out front so I should really try this." I looked up some recipes and realized that I could make do with what I had on hand with the exception of getting some smoked sausage.

I started with soaking a pound of white beans. I always forget that white beans go to mush so much faster than black or kidney beans. I thought I had messed it up but the mushy white beans made it a creamy stew without needing to add dairy. David and James tried it first and gave it a 10. We all enjoyed it. Very filling!

Christy's White Bean and Kale Soup

1 lb white beans, soaked
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 quart chicken stock
1/4 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups kale, washed, destemmed and chopped

I put it all in the crockpot to cook on low all day. I added the kale for the last 10-15 minutes. I don't like my kale mushy. I served it with fresh sourdough bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment