Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A new standard

I find myself spending more and more time in the kitchen. It's becoming my sanctuary. It's the cleanest room in the house. So I spend extra time wiping counters and sweeping up crumbs to keep it that way. And I'm catching all the messes the boys make much quicker and making them fix it. I had no idea how many times in a day that they leave something out or put it in the wrong place or halfway clean up a mess.

And it's not their fault. This is unfortunately the standard that I have created. That I have been accustomed to. I've spent so much time working on clutter and routines hoping that at some point I get things pared down and scheduled enough to be able to keep the whole house clean and organized. But it always seems to eventually revert back to a disorganized chaos.

Now with a cleaner space that must stay clean to function properly, I wonder if I could apply the same thing to the whole house a little at a time until it is all held to a new standard. The older boys and I will have to break some habits. But if the younger three grow up in the new standard, we'll be less likely to go back to a mess.

So I moved out from the kitchen and created a preschool activity center that the children can access themselves but that must have only one thing out at a time. I've asked the older boys to help me catch the little ones if they drag out more than one thing at a time. I've been keeping these boxes in an office box and the little ones are accustomed to only one thing at a time so this shouldn't be a problem. The extra independence will be given cautiously so that the standard remains high.

I've cleaned all boxes and what nots out of the bar area. I have two large appliances (a convection toaster oven and a slow cooker) that I can't have on the counters all the time. I have one box for things that need to go to the van or shed and one box for things that need to go to the thrift store.

I'm keeping one notebook with my menu plan on one page and my lesson plans on the back of that page. I turned to the back and started a list of standards to keep it the way I want it to stay. The babysteps for health are working so well because it's tailored to our health issues, personal tastes and lifestyle. It's personal.  The same thing should work better for keeping a new standard in our home. I'm not starting with a shiny sink like Flylady or some other plan. I'm starting with what works in our home.

1) Stay on top of the dishes - Unload the dishwasher even if there isn't a full load waiting to go in. In my mind, it has seemed more efficient that I unload and load at the same time. But having an empty dishwasher for dishes to go in keeps the counters and sink clear and prevents messes from piling up quickly. And honestly, it's not going to be long before I have a full load anyhow.

2) Keep dishcloth draped over the middle of the sink when not in use - This way, the family all know where the clean dishcloth is and we're not going through two or more a day. I can make sure we have a fresh dishcloth. And it's not wadded up in the bottom of the sink where the sippy cup of milk is dripping and making it sour.

3)Keep towel draped over the oven handle - Again, everyone will know where it is. I can keep it fresh and accessible.

4) Toys kept off the kitchen floor - It's a dangerous place to play anyhow. And I find myself postponing sweeping because we haven't picked up yet.

5) All non-essentials kept off the countertops - I've established what each counter is for and we need that space clear to do the work that needs to be done. So ingredients and most appliances need to be in their cabinet and pantry space. Dirty dishes need to be in the dishwasher or sink.

6) Bar area kept neat with nothing on or underneath the stools - I am a guilty party here of dropping my purse or coat or mail in this area. This is a great area for the boys to do schoolwork and help with kitchen tasks. Remember the purpose and keep it available for that purpose.

7) Preschool activity center kept orderly with only one thing out at a time - I found these boxes severely discounted at Dollar General. I don't think I paid more than $3 for 10 of them. I put in activity sheets, colorful math manipulatives, pompoms, felt squares, threading activities, foam stickers, puzzles, construction paper, etc. I can change out the activities. Right now I have some fall foam stickers. I have some Christmas stickers waiting to go in at the beginning of Advent.





No comments:

Post a Comment