Saturday, June 14, 2014

Green belts and temper tantrums

 The boys now have their green belts and can begin training for sparring. James is super excited since green is his favorite color. David will probably be the same when they move into the blue belts. They get their gear bags today.
I had to stay at home from the belt ceremony with a couple of still sick kiddos. Really hoping that was the last of it. I am getting some things more organized which is good. But really I am sick of this house! Ready to be back to our normal crazy schedule.

Katie Rose and John Micah go back and forth with their moods. One minute, they are playing happily together. The next, they are at each other's throats. They were fighting over a mylar balloon that had lost its string. James came up with a clever solution and added a piece of yarn and a paracord to the balloon. They were long so both could take the balloon in opposite directions and hold onto the balloon without being in each other's face.

Yesterday, I was organizing some school and arts & crafts supplies. I am making the entertainment center into an activity center. Not long ago, I found a huge disc organizer that looks like a photo album. I think it holds like 250 or so discs. I was able to put all our DVD's, most of our CD's and even our computer discs all in one spot with space to spare. Most awesome thing ever! In the process, that left a lot of space empty in our entertainment center. So I am organizing it to hold activity books with dry erase markers, phonics books and flash cards.

I have two slightly bigger than a shoe box plastic totes that I used for worksheets and coloring books. I stacked them on top of each other and set beside the entertainment center. Little did I know that it automatically became the favorite seat in the house. John Micah sat on it. When he got up, Katie Rose swooped in with her pillow, blanket and kitty telling John Micah to go away. He became distressed. A screaming match ensued. Nevermind that there are many other much more comfortable seating areas all over the house.

I guess all kids have some ridiculous arguments. But it's these nonsense things that can drive you a little crazy. Knock-down drag-out temper tantrums over things that are intended to prevent disappointment or keep them safe, like giving a new piece of gum instead of allowing them to put the piece that dropped in the mulch back into their mouth or making them stay in the van til everyone is strapped in the stroller when you are parked near a busy road. I guess it's a reminder to teach them that in life, you won't always be praised for doing the right thing. You may even be ridiculed for it. But it's important to do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment