Friday, July 27, 2012

To Do list: Visit my brother

On my to do list when we get moved to Alabama is to find directions to my oldest brother's grave. I don't guess that I've been there since his funeral so long ago. He was 8 yrs older than me. He's still the coolest guy I've ever met.

I still remember the day we got the news that he had died in a car accident. I had never seen nor would I ever see again that grief on my father's face. And regret. Even as a young child, I could see that he wished that he had been there more for his child that he would never see again this side of Heaven.

I remember the funeral. I wasn't sure what to do. When my great Uncle Red came by to shake my hand, I wrapped my arms around his neck and held on for dear life. I remember only four figures from that day. Davy in his casket as the music of Friends are Friends Forever by Michael W. Smith played. Sean, our brother between Davy and me, whose face showed that the closest person on this planet to him had been taken away. Me wishing that I knew what I had missed out in knowing him since we didn't get to see each other very often. And Uncle Red, someone to hug me and let me know that this day wouldn't last forever.

At his burial, I remember his mother telling our father that Davy was a good boy. I'm sure he was. I've always felt that he was our rock. And we're all a bit shaky without him. It doesn't make sense for a talented young man to be taken from this world when the world is better for him being here. Just one of those things we can't see from our viewpoint.

David Greely Fulgham - Gone but not forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment