Saturday, July 21, 2012

Leave it all and follow him

I'm so intrigued by the stories of the saints. They are from all different paths of life, but the most fascinating to me are the ones like St Ignatius of Loyola and the Company of Jesus. These men were wealthy and well-educated. They could have had a comfortable life of success and prestige. Instead, they did what the rich young ruler could not do. They left it all to follow Christ by taking a vow of poverty.

Sadly, we often associate great Christians with their material success or their popularity. You can see that in the mega-churches that are becoming so popular. Are we on the wrong track?

What if Jesus stood before us today? What if we asked what more we needed to do? I imagine he was say the same. Leave it all and follow me.

So what do we need to leave that is keeping us away from the footsteps of Jesus? Do we have too much "stuff" in our lives? Do we focus too much on what we can get from others and less on what we can give? Are we absorbed in our own entertainment and enjoyment to focus on our purpose?

As we're packing up to leave, I'm evaluating every item. Does this help me follow Christ? Does this only benefit me? Does this help me serve my family? Does this cost unnecessary money to maintain that could be better used elsewhere? There are more than a few things finding it's way out the door.

I don't want there to be anything in my life like the rich young man's wealth that holds me back from the adventure of following my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment