Thursday, January 1, 2015

Focus for 2015

My resolution for 2014 was to slow down. Not try to rush through everything to get to the next thing. It isn't very easy to measure success on a non-specific goal such as this. But I think I have learned how to slow down more and take things a bit at a time. I'm learning to say no to some things. Just because we could do it, doesn't mean we should and end up rushing from one thing to the next. I find that I'm allowing more time to get ready for events and we're not rushing around like loons.

It really isn't a resolution but a focus. A general goal in how to spend our time. For 2015, I want to expand a little bit on time. I have been amazed at the feeling towards my thirty minutes in the morning for myself. I have plenty of time to do what I need. I find myself with extra minutes, a luxury that I wasn't aware that I could have. The clock is working for me. I'm not racing against it in a race that I can't win.

So my focus for 2015 is to spend time deliberately. Assign each minute with how it is to be spent just as you would each dollar. Keep my tasks that need the most alert attention at the times I am most alert. Then when it is time to rest and leisure, partake without guilt.  Keep at a task for the allotted time so that I am digging deeper into my abilities and creativity. Give my children the fullness of my attention in the time that I devote to them.

With five children and activities that vary from day to day, a strict daily plan won't work. But I can be reminded at ever half hour to plan for the next thirty minutes. I can have a general outline of how my day will be spent. Taekwondo times change daily but I know that from 4-7pm is the time for supper and taekwondo. I may do laundry most days at a particular time but one day may require that I spend that time cuddling with a baby toddler or coloring with a preschooler or disinfecting with gusto. Plan the time and make it work for me rather than the other way around.

I also have to be aware of extra minutes like when waiting on the children when they are in taekwondo class or waiting at the dr office. Keep tasks of planning, correspondence or knitting/crocheting to use those minutes deliberately as well. We only get one life so let's get the most out of it.

Focus for 2015
Spend time deliberately

No comments:

Post a Comment