Friday, January 9, 2015

$100 grocery challenge - Week 2

I did not have to make any extra trips to the grocery store this past week. I shopped on Sunday last week and 3 gallons of milk fit in the fridge and lasted until Friday. Since I'm shopping on Friday, there may be a milk run later next week.

This morning, I checked for meat sales at Winn Dixie and Publix but to be honest, I really didn't have time for multiple stores and nothing was impressively marked-down anyhow. So I asked my husband what he was in the mood to eat this next week. He wanted BBQ and pizza. Wednesday is our regular pizza night. I decided to look for something to BBQ in the slow cooker.

I went to Walmart because my husband had to be work in 2 hours so I needed to get done and get home. I found some beef back ribs to make beef stew and a pork shoulder for BBQ.

I price-matched red delicious apples for $.79 per pound. That was a 50% savings.

Since I got apples this week, I decided to continue the citrus habit and get orange juice with calcium. That may help make the milk last til Friday.

I need a new batch of yogurt so I got Horizon's organic whole milk with extra DHA.

I was so proud of my shopping cart. If I had time, I would have taken a picture. I had shopped the perimeter of the store except for BBQ sauce, cereal and Tinkyada pasta. I am so grateful for the idea of babysteps. Shopping the perimeter seemed so hard just a few months ago. Now it seems only natural way to do things. I even contemplated finding a BBQ sauce recipe so I could skip that next time.

My menu this week

Saturday - Turkey Dressing and Sweet Potato Casserole
Sunday - BBQ, Baked Beans and Apple Cake
Monday - Beef Stew
Tuesday - Full breakfast for supper - Eggs, Sausage, Biscuits, Fried apples, Grits and Fall plum jelly
Wednesday - Pizza
Thursday - Red Beans and Rice w/cornbread
Friday - Crabby Patties (Salmon croquettes), Mac and cheese and biscuits.

This menu cost just $133. Still well under $25 per person. I am loving this challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment