Tuesday, January 6, 2015

$100 grocery challenge - Week 1

I accepted Meet Penny's challenge to spend $25 per person per week for everything from groceries to diapers to soap and toothpaste. So for my family, it ends up being $175 a week. But guess what, I came in under $100!

The grand total for week 1 is $93.50. The two things that helped keep this total so low was Santa Claus bringing new undies in stockings so we are using less diapers. I didn't need diapers or wipes or meat (other than pepperoni). I had two packs of smoked sausage left over from last week. And no I didn't go way over last week to skew the numbers. Last week's grocery total was $170. I also had a 19 lb turkey that needed to be used.

So I used the sausage in White Bean and Kale soup on Sunday and Breakfast Burritos on Monday. Today, I'm cooking the turkey in my huge slow cooker. Tonight I will pull all the meat off the turkey after supper. The bones will go back into the slow cooker for bone broth. The meat will be divided into three parts. One part will be for lunches. One part will be for soup. The last part will be for cornbread dressing. I will make pizza on Wednesday and blender pancakes on Friday to break up the turkey meals. With such a big turkey, I should be able to end up with two gallons of soup and two pans of cornbread dressing. This will give me freezer meals that I am stocking up on for sick days and busy days out when the weather warms up.

My grocery budget went to frozen and fresh veggies for the soup and sides for the turkey, cheese for mac and cheese and pizza, pepperoni, fruit for breakfast and snacks, 3 gallons of milk, and a few things like bay leaves and children's ibuprofen that we had run out of.

I'm sure next week I will not be able to come under so low but it was really excited to start off strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment