Thursday, November 7, 2013

Light of the World

I am working on some goals to balance out my life. I have a tendency to hyper focus. But with so many people, needs and obligations in my family, I can no longer afford to let all the balls fall while I focus on one part like cooking, organizing, teaching or whatever.

But juggling balls is terrible imagery because inevitably one falls. I am picturing instead a boat in need of many anchors to stay steady. Some days may get crazy and unbalanced but instead of stopping the juggling to pick up a ball, I'll just throw out another anchor.

My faith is very important to me. One of the goals I am working on is keeping conscience of doing it all for Christ. It is so easy for my thoughts to be dominated by the tasks of everyday life. So to bring my thoughts back to my Savior, I light a candle.

That's all. I put it on the windowsill in my kitchen out of reach of the little ones. Every time that I walk by, the light catches my eye and I am reminded of Christ, the Light of the World. This post by Loyola Press explains the concept so beautifully.

Now inevitably, life will become unbalanced. I have had a rough night with a sick child, busy morning at the doctor's office and pharmacy and right now, I am wondering how much toddlers would destroy if I closed my eyes for just a moment. But lighting a candle takes my eyes off the difficult day to the One with the power to make it better.

Light of the World, illumine me!

No comments:

Post a Comment