Friday, August 22, 2014

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

.......that's a pretty accurate description of our day.

This morning was great. My coughing wasn't bad so I decided to take advantage of the hot day for some water fun before the weather starts to turn cool. The deal is that we'll go do something fun each Friday if they follow their schedule and get their school assignments and chores done. The living room needed tidying so the boys quickly wrapped that up while I made sandwiches and packed the bags.

It was very hot but the shade and the splash pad were perfect. We really enjoyed ourselves. The highlight was Katie Rose leaving her brothers and engaging play with another little girl about her age. They picked up sticks and walked around together. This is the first time ever that she has engaged someone other than brothers and cousins. Mike, my husband, met us there for lunch. He was thrilled to see her not just playing along side another child but really playing with her. Katie Rose didn't even notice he was there and she is a huge Daddy's girl.

We got home and attempted naptime. Joseph stayed in the infant seat and slept. I've got to get him a new car seat! John Micah had caught a cat nap on the way home. I tried but neither him nor Katie Rose were having nap time today. We made strawberry banana smoothies for snack. According to James, I was the "best mom ever!"

But oh how quickly things can turn around......sigh!

A couple days ago, Davy came home and said that someone had stepped on his foot in taekwondo class. He thought he needed an xray. I'm thinking, "really....from someone stepping on your foot." At the splash pad, I noticed him slightly limping but then he pointed to the other foot feeling bad instead of the one that he was favoring. He was limping worse after snack time so I looked closely and sure enough it was slightly blue on top but really purple underneath. I called his orthopedic dr (yes, he's broken a toe before by dropping a 1 liter soda on it) as well as his pediatrician but both had already left for the day. It appeared that I had let this go for two days already and I wasn't comfortable letting it go for the weekend. So all 5 kiddos and I head to the ER.

They were pretty swift at the ER. They xrayed it and confirmed there was one toe fractured. They splinted it between two other toes and gave him a special shoe to wear. No kicking and sparring for a week.

 The little ones had been running. I told them to stop or they would fall. I took them to the bathroom to go potty. I come back out to sign the discharge paper and in less than a minute, John Micah runs across the room and barrels into the wall. He has a huge goose egg on his head. I asked the nurse discharging if I needed to have him seen as well. He had witnessed it and said that he was fine since he got right up and cried. Poor thing! But I did tell him so!

After the day we have had, someone else was cooking supper. I went to McDonalds to pick up Happy Meals for the kids. They were thrilled. I asked my husband to pick us up a couple burgers from Logans. Every time I eat there, I get the Route 66 burger. Love it. Today, we discover they don't make them anymore! Don't they know I need one today. So anyhow, he got supper at Chili's.

That's life! It's not all good, all bad or all ugly. Sometimes it's a crazy mix of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment