Friday, August 22, 2014

Naps

Some of my kids sleep well. Some don't. My oldest never slept well and even now will stay up til ridiculous wee hours of the morning without melatonin. My daughter is much the same. And my youngest still wakes up in the night at nearly a year old. I don't mind so much because I am enjoying every minute of baby time before it's gone for good.

When my oldest two were small, I would set them down for a movie after lunch. They would fall asleep. Maybe not ideal but hey, it worked. My daughter didn't quite get the memo. Once she moved to a toddler bed and my fourth began climbing out of the crib, naps became almost nonexistent. My fourth is not interested in sitting and watching a movie, period. When put in their rooms, they were climbing all over the furniture. I was pregnant with my fifth and just gave up. They caught a few naps if we had errands in the afternoon. Sometimes after I got the baby down for a nap, I could rock John Micah (my fourth) to sleep. And then just as I would get him to bed, the baby would be up again.

The baby is moving to one nap instead of two so I am determined to reclaim nap time. The two toddler beds and crib are in one room. I laid them all down and sat on the floor. I played Mozart on the iPad. They weren't happy and it was a pretty miserable 45 minutes. I decided to try again tomorrow.

The next day, I tried again. They were much calmer and by 30 minutes, the little boys were asleep. I waited a few more minutes but Katie Rose wasn't winding down. She and I tiptoed out. I cleaned the kitchen and got me a shower. Felt like a mini-vacation.

Looking forward to nap time today!



No comments:

Post a Comment