Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween memories

This time of year brings about plenty of controversy over celebrating Halloween or not. To each his own on what you do but I am glad to see more speaking out on keeping the fellowship and fun of this time of year whatever you choose to call it.  I personally like Halloween because it is the shortened version of All Hallow's Eve. Hallow means holy and/or saint. So it's simply the evening before All Saints Day.

I heard of one mom's position that she wanted her kids to have fun on Halloween and know that we aren't scared of death or even the devil. I agree! He is not bigger than God. He isn't equal to God. He has been defeated. He'll still try to have a victory over individual souls but it is a desperate attempt to take as many as possible down with him. Cause he has lost the war. His fate is sealed. And he knows it.

I was thinking of my best memories of Halloween.

I remember going to my great-grandparents house. They had caramels, raisin creme pies and sometimes popcorn balls. Much better than the store bought candy!

I remember my great uncle dressed up in a dog costume and sitting perfectly still in a chair. We thought it was a decoration. He jumped out of his chair when we got to the door. Scared us good!

I remember a cousin standing up on his roof with a rake for a pitchfork. He looked very spooky.

I remember trick or treating with my cousin and brother.

I don't remember candy or any fall festivals before having children.

Dressing up as the Scooby Gang and decorating our van as the mystery machine will always be one of our greatest memories. Another year, the children dressed up as Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Peter Pan. Individual costumes aren't nearly as memorable. The themes turn the holiday into something spectacularly fun! I dropped the ball this year and we have a mishmash of characters but we have a few fun activities planned. We even carved a Jack-o-lantern. I can't remember if we have ever done that before.

It isn't the candy or the fall festivals that provide the best memories. It's the things we do with our family and friends. Have fun!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment