Friday, September 5, 2014

Khan Academy: more fun than Candy Crush!

I have a very addictive personality. It's why I've never dabbled in alcohol (other than communion), drugs, and tobacco. I'm even super careful with pain meds after surgery. I know that it doesn't take much for me to go overboard. Case in point: Candy Crush and other Facebook games. I have to go on game fasts, uninstall the games, time limits, etc. But inevitably I get bored or sick and they get reinstalled. But I have recently discovered a very worthwhile substitution.

Three years ago, I enrolled myself, my two older boys and my niece in Khan Academy. We used it quite a bit for a while. Then new babies and other things got us off track. When we started back homeschooling this year, I scheduled thirty minutes per day for Khan Academy. What a surprise! Khan Academy has gotten infinitely more awesome.

There are videos about computer programming, building robots, history (Crash Course isn't for younger children because of some semi-crude humor), science (I appreciate him attempting a reconciliation of intelligent design and evolution as opposed to equating evolution or natural selection with a mandated atheism) and more.

I started checking out some of the fourth grade and sixth grade math skills on my account so I would know what the boys were expected to learn. I was curious if the K-2 would be suitable for my 4 yr old. She needs to be able to read a bit before it would be useful. But on each of these grade levels, they have a grid showing how much of a percentage has been completed and what is left to go. I wanted to see it 100% so I started doing math problems instead of playing games. I was earning points and getting badges for being persistent and speedy. 500,000+ points and 5 grade levels, I think I have my new addiction.

But that's ok. I would much rather my kids see me enjoying math (which is by far not my favorite subject) and learning instead of playing pointless games. I will keep Candy Crush because it is something that I can do offline when I'm waiting for the boys in taekwondo class. But where I have internet, I prefer Khan Academy. I'm participating in my second team challenge which puts 5 players together to earn a collective 35000 points from practicing math (not from badges or watching videos). Fun! The boys are disappointed that only 13 and older can do it but I understand that has to be for privacy reasons.

Now some will avoid Khan Academy because it is aligned with Common Core. But the things that I have recognized in there from the boys' public school workbooks last year are so much better logically presented on Khan Academy. I agree that there are things that I don't like about Common Core but lets face it, no one is going to pull the plug on this because of the sheer amount of money that has been put into it. And if this affects college entrance exams, we have to prepare our kids for that.

Learn. Have Fun! The two aren't mutually exclusive.



No comments:

Post a Comment