Friday, October 11, 2013

Super simple crabby patties

On Fridays, we abstain from meat. Fish is allowed since they are cold-blooded. And someone joked possibly because our first pope was a fisherman. Seriously, fish was easier to catch as opposed to killing a warm-blooded animal and was cheaper with red meat being a real luxury.

In America, we are allowed to choose something else to abstain from such as social media, caffeine, sugar, or whatever causes us to think of the sacrifice our Lord made on the cross. I can live without meat but if I don't abstain from meat, it's easy for the rest of the family to forget that it's Friday. And that's the whole purpose, to not only remember His resurrection each Sunday but also the sacrifice He made on Friday.

So tonight we are having an at least four generation tradition of salmon/mackerel patties usually with macaroni and cheese and biscuits. My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother have all made it. If you count my kids, that's at least 5 generations. My aunt came to help with the kids when Joseph was born and I made it for supper. She remarked how good it was and how she hadn't had it in a while. My husband thinks it stinks but it's comfort food for us.

I use wild-caught Alaskan salmon. I take a can, drain the liquid, mash up the fish; bones and all. The bones are real soft and a great source of calcium. I add a bit of cornmeal and an egg. It doesn't need salt but you could add pepper and/or finely chopped onion if you like.

I form patties and fry them up in a bit of coconut oil. With the omega-3 from the fish, calcium from the bones and healthy fats from the coconut oil, this is one nutritious supper. You can serve them on buns for the kids who want to pretend they are eating with Sponge Bob. I prefer them just topped with ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment