Monday, December 3, 2012

Blueberry cream cheese sourdough rolls

Blueberry + cream cheese + sourdough, you really can't go wrong here, right?

I am sure I am not the first to try this but here is how I created some totally scrumptious rolls.

I used a basic sourdough bread recipe and let it rise overnight. I divided it and rolled out a big rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Originally, I was thinking of just spreading plain cream cheese but the recipe evolved in the process. I decided to mix 3 oz cream cheese with 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, 2 T milk and 2 t vanilla. I really didn't measure so these are my guesstimations but you get the idea. It is basically a cream cheese frosting. Spread this over the sourdough rectangle.

I took about a cup of frozen blueberries. I washed them and then gave them a rough chop on the cutting board. I put them in a bowl and coated with about 1/3 cup granulated sugar. I sprinkled these all over the cream cheese frosted, sourdough rectangle.

Roll up the dough. Slice into 1 1/2 inch rolls. Place in greased baking pan. Let rise for twenty minutes. Would like to let it rise longer but unsure about how safe that is. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 -60minutes. While they are still hot, drizzle with a confectioner's sugar glaze which is just confectioner's sugar and a splash of vanilla with enough milk to make it creamy but thin enough to drizzle.

Our family loves pomegranates during the Christmas season. I am going to try this same recipe with pomegranate to see if it will become our Christmas breakfast tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment