Friday, December 28, 2012

2013 Resolutions

This is the time of year when we begin thinking of what areas we would like to improve on in our lives. For me like many, organization is at the top of my list. I've learned that consistency is like compound interest. Every day gets a little bit better. I would like to expand my list of consistent tasks.

I've used many methods of scheduling. To do lists, Cozi, home management binder, control journal, day planner and more. I've discovered this year that none of them have the flexibility, consistency, inclusiveness and ease of use that I needed. All the methods have helped and have benefits but I needed something more suited to me. 

I had tried Remember The Milk some time ago and fizzled out on it. I found the Ipad app later and it has been really amazing. It is so much easier to use with the touch screen. I can divide out the tasks among family members, cleaning, cooking, craft projects, etc. There are three levels of priority. I use High for morning chores, Medium for afternoon chores and Low for evening chores. I use no priority for things that can be done at any time of the day. 

I can plan out how to use my leftovers. Remind myself to cut up the leftover ham to use in quiche or beans later on. I can remind myself with a morning task to start beans soaking for Cuban black beans. I can remind myself to put the sourdough starter in the fridge the next morning. 

I can put in a reminder to take movies back to the library or mail a bill payment. I can put in reminders for church and school activities. I can take a project from pinterest and make a list of tasks under a special list to no due date. This way, the great idea isn't forgotten. 

Every time I do a task, I add it to Remember the Milk. Last week, I had to clean the filter in our washer. It had not been completed in well over two months as suggested. So I added the task, marked it complete and set it to repeat every 2 months. Viola! I put away our advent wreath so I made a task to repeat in a year. I read the story of St Stephen, the first martyr and I put a reminder for that to repeat in a year. 

It is extremely flexible. If I want to cook tomorrow's menu, I mark it complete and postpone today's menu. If I have more time today, I can complete some of tomorrow's tasks. If the mopping just can't wait til tomorrow, it is done today. If I don't get everything completed on the list, I postpone it til tomorrow. 

So I am going to attempt to make a list of at least 5 tasks each week for each week of 2013. Let's get organized in 2013. 



No comments:

Post a Comment