Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Thursday

Today is my second Holy Thursday as a confirmed Catholic. I love the liturgical year and how we can place ourselves in the mindset of the particular events in the Gospels.

Today we celebrate The Last Supper that Jesus shared with his disciples. It was Passover so the disciples spent much of this day finding the location Jesus told them about and preparing the Passover meal. This night, Jesus would go to the garden to pray. Before dawn, he would be arrested. By tomorrow, the only disciple that hasn't betrayed him, denied him or run for cover will be John.

How heavy his heart must have been! At least as a human, you could hope that against all odds that the ones you love the most will stick by you no matter what. But as God, he knew better. What deep love it had to have been to still go to the cross! Knowing how so many would fail you. For even those who would never call your name.

Friday and Saturday will be much more somber days. We will contemplate the cross as we bear our own. Remembering through all the trials and hurt feelings that life may bring, resurrection is right around the corner. And I'm sure that Jesus' resurrection was nothing like any of the disciples imagined his victory.

Today I spent time preparing. I don't want to be running errands that aren't absolutely necessary so I went to the grocery store, gas station, etc. I will make some Greek lentil soup for the fasting and abstinence from meat. Preparation of our space and time to be a little more reflective. I will still have young children to tend to so it won't exactly be quiet. But I will do what I can at this stage in life. And offer up my service in my vocation of motherhood in lieu of prayers that may not get said.

Have a blessed Easter season!

No comments:

Post a Comment