Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My resolution for 2014 - Slow down

I was going to sit down and make resolutions for the year. Probably over-complicate things. But I found this manifesto from Ann Voskamp. I may adjust it to personally fit me in the future but right now, I can't think of any way to improve upon it. She is quite amazing in her writing!

One part really struck me.

Life isn't an emergency. It's a gift. Only the slow truly see their lives. Which makes their lives seem longer and richer.

Everyone that I know, especially this time of year, complain of how time flies by faster and faster with each passing year. Including myself. But what if it isn't time's doing. What if with all our rushing around, we are speeding through our life unnecessarily fast.

A decade ago, I wanted to do all the fun stuff. Cooking instead of washing dishes. Crafts instead of tidying up. That wasn't sustainable so for several years now, I have worked on routines. Routines have helped a great deal but my viewpoint is largely the same. I'm rushing through the mundane to get to the fun. My days fly by and it is my own doing.

This year, I want to slow down. I want to find the sacred in the everyday. It is those mundane things that done with love make us holy.

I took the manifesto and printed it on card stock. I put it in a frame that my second child, James, got me as a Christmas gift. I placed it on my kitchen window sill. Now I have a daily reminder to slow down and savor life.

No comments:

Post a Comment